Nov 10, 2011

Review: The Host - By Stephanie Meyer

 Summary
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.
Review
This review has been LONG overdue!! I read this book a while back in between my usual reading. It was one of those books that I kept changing my mind about.. Should I buy it? Maybe I shouldn't? Will I read it?
Eventually it took one heck of a book sale for me to add this book to my shopping cart. Got it for 3 bucks! Can't beat that. Now after I've actually read it... I've got one question left.... Why the heck did it take me so long to read this!!!! I loved this book. I'll admit it... I'm a Twilight fan.. and I found it hard to even wrap my mind around the fact that Stephanie Meyer has written something else other than that series. Once I got over that. It was pure love. The story has the classic romance that I look for in stories... drama that had me sprouting tears left and right and characters that I couldn't help but fall for. Good job Steph! This book reader is impressed! 5 stars from me. Now the only question left is... Have you read it? If not?... Maybe you should. Just saying. 
;)

10 comments:

  1. I'm NOT a Twilight fan but this one wasn't too bad. It had an interesting premise but had a little more romance than I like. I still liked it better than Twilight, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge Twilight fan, but I haven't been able to get myself to read this one. I tried a few years back, but couldn't get into it. Anything even remotely scifi just doesn't do it for me. :(

    But I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too, though it was pretty long. But if it's a good book, that doesn't matter. I'm a little wary about how they're handling the movie :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see other people enjoying it as much as I did! I thought it was phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was extremely unsure of this one too. I loved Twilight and I didn't want to let that story go. Plus the whole parasite/possession thing really freaked me out.

    I'm so glad I did read it though, because I loved it...maybe even more than Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering whether to read this book for a long time as I'm a big Twilight fan and I was worried that I'd be disappointed by The Host!

    After this review I might just take the plunge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book! The story was better. The writing was better. Compared to Twilight (which I also loved), you would never know they were written by the same author. I can't believe this book hasn't gotten more attention! I was literally sobbing at parts in this book. I can't wait for the rumored sequel!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reviewed this a couple weeks ago! We have the same reaction! I dont understand why I took so long to read it either. It is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I loved The Host! It took me awhile to get into it, but once I did, I was hooked! One of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aah, I read The Host...like back in '09 or '10 and I absolutely LOVE it. Hard. :) After I finished it, I couldn't stop thinking about it for days, weeks, months, and...more months. It definitely stayed with me for a while. A LONG while, lol!

    I cannot wait for the movie! LOL, I am a ginormous fan of the Twilight Saga but I totally feel ya on the whole "OMG, Stephenie Meyer wrote another series NOT about vampires?!" LOL

    -Momo

    ReplyDelete