Nov 14, 2011

Review: Lola and The Boy Next Door - By Stephanie Perkins

Summary
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
Review
I went into this book with extremely high hopes. Now after reading it.. I'm proud to say, most of those hopes were fulfilled. I'm one of those readers that absolutely loves Stephanie Perkins and will devour each and every one of her books that comes my way. You can thank Anna and the French Kiss for that. Anna ranks amongst my top favorites, so Lola definitely had some big shoes to fill with this reader. What can I say about Lola? Although the book was enjoyable, loveable, and a good read... Dare I say it didn't meet Anna potential. It had everything a reader could want in a book. An emotional story between starcrossed lovers. A hint of a love triangle (a favorite theme of mine)... and truly memorable characters. It's only flaw.... I could have gone for a little more drama. The ending seemed a bit too easy for me. Throw a little more heartbreak their way.... add a little more drama... make the characters work for their happy ending...then it'd be perfect. (at least to me) So all in all.... 4 stars for Lola! Still awesome...not Anna awesome... but Awesome nonetheless... and truly worth the read.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. I want to know if I'll like it better than Anna or less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I actually liked this one a little better than Anna, partly, I think, because I liked Cricket better than St. Clair. But even though it wasn't as good as Anna for you, I'm glad you still liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I'm crazy over Stephanie Perkins books! I love me some Cricket and some St. Clair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with Amanda. LOVED - I mean, a bit obsessed with - St. Clair. Ask people around me. So much so, I actually got rid of my copy of Anna as part of my St. Clair rehab. Lola needed to 'bring it' to sit on the same shelf. And while the writing is lovely and adorable and talented and so worthy of my jealousy (as a wanna-be author who is querying agents as we speak), Lola just didn't have the same je ne sais quoi as Anna. Cricket is tres adorable but ... well, you'll see. I can't say too much - you'll have to read it. He's cute, for sure. But so nice. So, so , so nice. Like too nice. There is so much angst between St. Clair and Anna it makes you want to throw the book across the room and scream, "Kiss her!" I just didn't feel it with Lola. As I said, the actual 'writing' is pure love - Stephanie is very talented. And if you liked Anna, you should read Lola. And now I must go because my therapist told me I can only say Etienne St. Clair so many times per day. (I am signing as anonymous, however, most of my rehab friends know who I am - the St. Clair obsessed girl ...who...needs...constant ... help...because ...she truly...believes...she...will...one...day...be...Mrs...St...Clair...(cuz he will leave anna for me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I actually didn't like this one as much as Anna. I actually didn't like all that much. It just seemed too.. quirky for me and in the end like you said it was all too easy because there was nothing to begin with I think.

    However, I'm glad you liked it:D

    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete