Jul 9, 2012

Review: The Golden Lily - By Richelle Mead

Summary
The second thrilling installment in Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy spinoff series

Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Richelle Mead's breathtaking Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive. In this second book, the drama is hotter, the romances are steamier, and the stakes are even higher.

Review
I consider myself a HUGE Vampire Academy fan. I've read the series multiple times, gush about the books to no end, and just adore them, through and through. I'll admit I was stoked to hear the series would continue. More Vampire Academy meant more AWESOME in my book.

I'm starting to wonder if it's my dedication to Vampire Academy and it's characters that leave me a bit let down when it comes to Bloodlines. There's no Rose. There's no Lisa. The characters that are there... well.. their just not enough for me.

I gave Bloodlines a fairly decent rating and review because the book was indeed interesting. Interesting to see the Vampire Academy world from a whole different point of view.

Unfortunately it was that point of view, that I just couldn't connect with in The Golden Lily. I just don't really like the main character. I wish I could say different, and in all honestly, I tried to keep an open mind throughout this book. But it just wasn't for me.

Will I read the next book in the series.. The Indigo Spell? Of course I will! I love this author far too much to give up on her because of one book. I have faith. I just hope to have a bit more luck the next time around.

Three stars from me. I liked the book. I just wish it were a bit better.

7 comments:

  1. I was sort of skeptical of the Bloodlines series, because it's never good when an author makes a spin-off series. It's nice to know someone agrees when I say Golden Lily didn't live up to my expectations. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww bummer, you're like, the first review I've read that said they didn't like Golden Lily :(

    My Review of Golden Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started read the Bloodlines series yet. I love VA by Richelle Mead! After reading your review, I feel like I can stop beating myself up for not reading it lol! Thanks for sharing Amanda,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see how you'd have this issue, Amanda. I think that's what turned me off of Bloodlines - I kept expecting to see Rose and Co throughout the whole book. It's interesting that you'd continue to shy away from this series with the second book. I just bought a copy the other day because like you, I LOVE Richelle Mead, but I'm curious to see if I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I don't mind that Rose and Lissa have been sidelined. I'm sure they'll show up if the others need to go to court.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly how I feel about these books! Especially this one! Bloodlines was decent for me and I was excited about the spin-off (I love Adrian so I think he's kept me going) but The Golden Lily was so disappointing. It was just so "eh". Which sucks because VA is so epic.

    ReplyDelete