Sep 30, 2011

Review: Hereafter - By Tara Hudson


Summary
Can there truly be love after death?
Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.
Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.
Review
If I could sum this book up in one word I guess I'd just call it cute. It's a cute read. One of those books that leaves you with that happy feeling inside. Awww that's a cute ending. I know alot of people have been calling the story unique, but I couldn't help but compare it to the book "A Certain Slant of Light", although that book ended in a little more dramatic way. Basically this book is a about a girl that dies, wonders around as a ghost, meets a guy, falls instantly in love, banishes a demon, and then lives happily ever after. Yup that's pretty much it. I'm still a little lost as far as the banishing demon part. What happened again? I'm not even sure. And why is it that the "all powerful demons" just left her alone? Really? Nothing else happens? All in all, the cover is absolutely beautiful, and the plot "in theory" screams potential; but for me, it just falls flat. 3 stars for a book that I didn't hate, didn't really love, but i'm glad to have read.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this super honest review. I own it but haven't read it yet! I just didn't know what to expect! Now I know! I'll def pick it up when I'm in the mood for this kind of read :) Thanks a ton!!

    ReplyDelete