Aug 29, 2012

Review: Origin by Jessica Khory

 Summary
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost. This is a supremely compelling debut novel that blends the awakening romance of Matched with the mystery and jungle conspiracy of Lost.

Review
Although the beginning started off a bit slow, it didn't take long for me to put things together. Once I finally sunk into the world and placed all the characters the reading really picked up.I've gotta admit, I didn't truly get into the story until Pia met Eio though. Typical me! Always chasing the romance! lol! Their romance was playful and cute and I really liked that. In fact, Eio and the rest of the tribe he lived with made for my favorite parts of the book.

Unfortunately there was one big part of the book that I just didn't like. The characters were great. The world was interesting. But the violence was a little too much for me. I wasn't really a fan of the ending or the scenes relating to the animals. I usually don't read books about animals. I just can't stand to see them get hurt. That happens a bit in this book and I just wasn't prepared for it. That might have lowered the rating a bit for me but that's based solely on preference. I'm just not a fan of books with animals in them. I kind of wish I had known that feature was going to be so prevalent within the book before I started it. I'll be honest. I might have passed on reading it if I had known that was the case. If you've got a soft spot for animals, I wouldn't recommend this read.

Besides that tiny tidbit, the book wasn't bad, in fact, I thought it was really quite interesting and it definitely kept my attention. Three stars from me.

5 comments:

  1. I have an ARC of this from BEA and am excited to get around to it. I'm a little hesitant with the animal plot now. I have four dogs at home and love them! Thanks for the heads up and I'll go into this book prepared now!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Now I'm afraid to read about the animals! I'm super pumped for this book to come out--it looks so good! However, it's nice to see a more critical review of this book. Great review!
    Cheers!
    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. It is hard to read about animals being hurt. You are the first one who commented on that aspect of the book. Thanks for the warning. I would still like to read this, but now I am forewarned!
    Thanks for the enlightening review. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks really good but I haven't seen many uber postive reviews about it. :/

    Becky @ A Reader’s Devotion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow...violence and animals...so glad I read this review....I think I'll steer clear of this one!

    ReplyDelete